I realized that up to this point we had not posted anything about our 2015 float plan – where we going (or when). My error – sometimes you get so wrapped up in the details that you forget to step back and take a breath.
Our float plan for our big summer adventure is as follows (all dates are squishy and subject to change by whim or weather):
6/28 – depart Bayfield, WI for Stockton Island as the official launch point with Niels and Vicki Jensen (our guidance counselors and sailing mentors) – WAIT – the first weather whim – it’s 6/28 and we actually made it to Stockton yesterday. Now when has anyone of you heard of Dan and I being ahead of schedule? Ha!
Okay, let’s try that again.
- 6/28 – depart from Stockton Island heading to the upper entry at Houghton-Hancock on the Keweenaw Peninsula. This is our first big day ~80 nautical miles.
- 7/1 – Marquette, MI
- 7/4 – Grand Marais, MI
- 7/5 or 7/6 – the big Soo – we will have our first experience going through locks with Gaviidae (I think it may be a bit different then the canal locks we experienced years ago in France). Once through we will be on Lake Huron.
- 7/8 – Mackinac Island
- 7/11 – Rogers City, MI for the Great Lakes Cruising Club Rendezvous
- 7/18 – 7/27 North Channel
- 7/28 – ? Return via the Canadian side of Lake Superior
- TBD – Pikes Bay Marina, Bayfield, WI