Hood Canal Callaloo
Dan's mash-up of the well-known Caribbean dish – lots of greens and veggies!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 Large sauté pan
- 1 Cutting board and knife
- 1 small sweet potato
- 4-6 slices bacon roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 carrot sliced or julienned
- 1 celery stock sliced 1/2 into inch pieces
- 1 red or sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced into narrow 2" long strips
- 3 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 cups kale, chard, spinach or other green coarsely chopped
- 1 cup broth chicken, vegetable, or beef
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 hot pepper diced, or substitute hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 tbsn currants
- Preheat oven 400* F. Bake sweet potato 40-50 minutes. Allow to cool, then remove skin and thinly slice.
- When sweet potato is out of oven, cook the bacon in a large sauté pan over medium heat; cook the bacon until it just begins to crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove bacon, add coconut oil.
- Add the carrots and celery, cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add onions and bell pepper, cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato slices, sauté 2 to 3 minutes each side to brown.
- Add tomato paste and garlic, cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the kale and and other greens, sauté until wilted, tossing with the onion and other ingredients, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and tomato sauce, continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in crumbled bacon and currents. Serve hot.