To see the original post on Eggplant or Aubergine that paired grilled lamb chops with Greek vinaigrette, click here.
- 1 aubergine (eggplant) sliced into four rounds, each ½-inch thick
- 1 ripe tomato sliced in 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/3 C mixed shredded cheese Mexican, pizza or co-jack blend
- 1 clove garlic diced and/or mashed
- 1/3 C panko or Italian-style dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 C fresh basil leaves chopped
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2-3 T olive oil
- 2 T Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 T parsley chopped
- Set grill to medium heat.
- Mix bread crumbs, shredded cheese, garlic and 1/3 cup basil in a small bowl; set aside.
- Sprinkle eggplant and tomato slices with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush one side of aubergine rounds with oil. Grill, oiled side down, about 3 minutes, or until bottom sides are tender and marked by the grill.
- Brush top side of eggplant slices with more oil; turnover and place tomatoes on marked side, then spread cheese mixture over tomatoes. Sprinkle with parmesan and drizzle with remaining oil. Cover and grill 7 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Transfer eggplant slices to plates. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Note: Get any size aubergine. Unless you’re feeding 50, you probably won’t use it all in this recipe, anyway.